Monday, June 10, 2013

my most favorite chicken recipe. ever.

My family and I went to dinner this past weekend. We went to an amazing Ethiopian food restaurant in the city and while there talked about food. Of course. My sister and I, being twins, always like to compare ourselves to each other. Everyone else does too, coincidentally. We don't just wear our hair curly. One of us normally wears it curly, and one of us normally wears it straight. One of us really likes caffeine, the other doesn't drink caffeine so much. One of us loves to read literature and murder mystery, while the other loves Redeeming Love. We are very similar, but also tremendously different. When it comes to cooking, we both love it (similarity) but Tiffanie loves to cook.  I prefer baking. My finesse, if you will, is with baking. Which doesn't always make sense to me because baking is a typically precise, routinized practice. 

My husband  loves to say that I "never measure anything", which in some sense, is totally true. 1 tbsp vanilla equals a good sized splash into the bowl. 2 cups of chocolate chips equals the whole bag. Recipe calls for 2 medium bananas, ahhh... two large ones won't hurt. I do not, however, guesstimate on baking soda, flour, sugar, or baking soda. Those things, typically, make or break your recipe, and they are measured out for a reason. Hear me peeps, DO NOT GUESSTIMATE these. It will not end well. 

All that said, when it comes to cooking, I tend to stick to the simple side, to be safe. A good roast vegetable, a yummy salad or soup, and a good cooked protein. I love my crockpot for cooking meat, and the hubs is teaching me how to grill, but still I prefer the sugar, spice & everything's nice. But, there is one chicken recipe that makes my little heart happy. Because it's basically like baking. Flour, egg, bread crumbs, minimum 10 minutes to make. Super easy, yummy, and reliable. Just the way I like my recipes. 

Breaded Chicken Cutlets
from Dinner A Love Story, Jenny Rosenstrach, 2012. 

For chicken: Pound four boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Set up your dredging stations: a rimmed plate with two lightly beaten eggs, a plate with a mound of  flour (salted, peppered, and dry mustard-ed if you have it), a plate with a huge mound of bread crumbs (or Kellogg’s corn flake crumbs, or panko). Dredge your chicken pieces first in the flour, then in the egg, then in the crumbs. Sauté each breast in olive oil over medium-high heat for about 3 to 4 minutes a side. Serve with asparagus sauce and regular ketchup if you must.

This recipe is delicious and perfect for kiddos who want chicken nuggets, and you want to give them something "healthier" than a happy meal from McDonald's. And if you don't already know about Jenny's cookbook, plllllleasse do yourself a favor and buy it. It will make you want to cook, go to the farmer's market and make chicken cutlets. 


Dinner A Love Story book trailer. :)


Enjoy! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment