Tuesday, April 9, 2013

on the menu: White Chicken Chili

Photo Credit: shaunaniequist.com
Let me be honest. I am not a fan of beans. I haven't ever liked them. But I kind of sort of maybe a teensy bit, like white beans. I do not love them, but I do not detest them as much as other beans. Black beans? Forget it. Baked beans? No way. Refried Beans? Who in their right mind likes mushy brown beans?! No. I am not a fan of any bean other than white. So when I found a chili recipe without all the mushy, black, brown beans, I rejoiced. My husband loves chili, so I wanted to find a healthy version of chili he loves so much. Now, this chili is more like a soup but still delicious and perfect for cold, wintery days.

This recipe is from Shauna Niequist's new book, Bread & Wine. (Have I mentioned how fantastic this book is?!) The recipe is super easy, super healthy, and super adaptable. And super delicous. If you live in Oklahoma, make it tonight, because apparently we are having severe winter weather tonight. In April. :) Cause, ya know, that's how we roll.


White Chicken Chili
Serves 6
from Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist, pg. 110, Zondervan, 2013.

1-1.5 pounds chicken: breasts, tenders, or boneless skinless thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces. Cook in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add one container of salsa, preferably fresh. Or green salsa.
Cook until chicken is almost cooked through, about five minutes.
Drain all 4 cans of beans. Add 2 cans as they are, and mash 2 cans with a fork or the back of a wooden spoon, then add them.
Add four cups of broth.
Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
Simmer for at least 30 minutes, but, really, the longer the better.

Serve with cilantro, wedges of lime, sliced avocado, shredded cheese, chips, sour cream, and salsa.  I will warn you, however, that sometimes what began as a thoroughly virtuous soup becomes a very large meal consisting mainly of cheese & chips with a very occasional bite of soup. Or at least that’s what I’ve heard.

**I prepared the chili slightly differently. It was Sunday, and I wanted to let all the flavors blend and simmer and bubble together nicely, so I put all the beans, broth, and salsa in my crock pot. Boiled the chicken, shredded it, and added it to the chili. It turned out deliciously!


No comments:

Post a Comment