Saturday, September 1, 2012

We were willing.

Hello friends!

Today I am writing to you from my most favorite spot in my apartment. On my big comfy couch. (Anyone remember The Big Comfy Couch on PBS? I just loved that show!) Our couch was given to us by a very sweet couple who was needing to move out the huge couch from their garage. It was a blessing when it came about because for one, we did not have any living room furniture and two, they were willing to give it to us. For free. I don't know if you know this, but FREE is a holy word when you are getting married. The couch is huge and comfortable and roomy. It's a beautiful tan color, with plenty of room for sleeping (I call it my Sunday nap couch) and cuddling. :) Anyhow, as I sit on my comfy couch, my husband is glued to the TV, watching football. Alas, the time has come when Saturdays are filled with college football mania. And I am okay with it, until October. By then, I'm over it. I don't care what OU is ranked, who will go to the Super Bowl, or if what'- his-face from that team will go to the NFL, I just want to watch Doctor Who all day. (The Doctor returns TONIGHT, on BBCAMERICA. Too bad I don't have cable. Maybe I can convince the hubs to let me buy them all on Amazon?!) Football is lost on me, I am afraid, when British TV comes out with something new.

Back to my real reason for writing....

Last Friday, my sister, best friend and I had the amazing opportunity to go see Jen Hatmaker speak at a church in our area.  If you have not ever heard of/read anything by Jen, you are seriously missing out on a hilarious, faith-driven, did I mention hilarious?, woman. She is a mom of five (two are adopted from Ethiopia) and the wife of a pastor. I found out about Jen through my blogger-friend Natalie Lloyd, who recommended her bible study books to me. Ever since I did that study, I was hooked. Jen writes in such a friendly, hilarious, understanding way and her advice on faith is so real and relevant. The girl knows her stuff. Anyway, about a month ago, my sister's husband texted me about his anniversary gift to her, which was to pay for her to go see Jen Hatmaker speak. He asked if I wanted to go and without hesitation, I said yes. I got online, signed up and counted down the days. Right after I had gotten married, I began reading "7" by Jen Hatmaker that just rocked my world. Her writing inspired and convicted me and challenged me to change the way I live and view my "stuff" and resources. So when I found out about her speaking event, I was thrilled to hear her story in person. And we were not disappointed.


 We arrived right on time to the event, where we ate some amazing food, and talked excitedly about maybe getting to meet Jen. We went straight to the book table and looked through all the ones we possibly wanted to buy, when all of the sudden, there she was. Sitting down, eating, and talking to a sweet fan. I excitedly slapped my sister on the arm, and whispered that Jen was sitting right over there.  We all turned to look at her, and wondered whether or not we should try and talk to her. Maybe get an autograph. Or a hug. Whichever. We decided to wait until after the event, just to give her time to eat. And build up our nerves.
We found our seats, chatted, and waited for what seemed like forever for the event to start. And friends let me tell you, she was worth the wait. I can't tell you the last time I laughed so much. Or the last time I felt so moved by the Spirit to really live the way Jen challenged us too. Her words, just like her writing, moved, and inspired me to live a different, better life. She was so real, but so intent on us knowing that we only have so much time to live the life Jesus wanted. The life He spoke of, not the one the religious leaders or hypocrites tell us to live. A life based on loving people "where they are and how they are" not with the intent of just changing them to be a Christian. She challenged us to find our mission, the area and the people in our live that need hope, and someone to know that they are for them, and that love is not something you have to earn. She challenges us to be a people who weren't set on sticking to our guns, but putting them down, willing to listen to and help heal the people who have been hurt by the people who claim to love them. Jen is a powerful speaker and force in a world of people who are losing faith in the Church.

At the end of her speaking, Jill, Tiff and I rushed out to buy books and get them signed. We took a picture with Jen and thanked her for her time. It was an amazing night, being in a beautiful church, surrounded by women who were all in love with Jesus, and looking for something to inspire them.

So Jen, if you read this, thank you for your time and your faith. You inspired us to be better and love better and I thank you for speaking the truth that was on your heart.


Happy Labor Day weekend!

P.s. Platform 9 3/4 is a busy place today. See you on the Hogwart's express? ;)

Links: Jen's Website



No comments:

Post a Comment